Monday, May 23, 2011

Hw - 57 Initial Thoughts on PROM

When I see the word "Prom", I think it is short for promoting. And what a coincidence that prom night is about projecting your self image. Much like promoting a product you plan to sell. More like a female presenting her figure in a manner to catch everyones attention. Prom is a interesting night that supposedly will be looked back upon when we get older because of how memorable a night it will be. Although some might say that prom is very much scripted, others will argue that even though it is scripted, there are many different variations of what "prom night" is. I guess for every person there is a different level of experience that is noted ranging from those who enjoyed to those who saw it by and by.

Questions I have for what prom symbolizes in our culture is, why are those who do not participate or those who participate in prom stigmatized? For one, I would like to believe that prom suits to be a dominant social practice and those who decide to go against it, are very much looked down or in lesser manner because they did not part take in this ceremony. Much like funerals, a feeling of disrespect is directed towards those that do not participate in a funeral gathering that they were suppose to attend. Those who do not attend are looked upon not as much as disrespect but with the same negative connotation level there associated with not going.

Last thing before I further theorize the meaning of prom in future blogs to come, my self experience with prom will be interesting to share and see how my initial thoughts of what prom is, with how it will compute with what my own experience of what prom will be coming up this Thursday. SENIORS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment